Strong and reliable. The strong and reliable action of the Winchester® Model 1886 was designed to handle the then-new, heavier 45-70 Govt. cartridge, developed by the U.S. Government in 1873. The Model 1886 Short Rifle features a deeply-blued receiver, barrel and lever, along with a matching blued steel end cap and steel crescent buttplate. The classic straight grip Grade I walnut stock allows quick shouldering, and has an elegant satin finish. The full-length tubular steel magazine holds six 45-70 Govt. cartridges. The receiver is drilled and tapped for the addition of an optional receiver sight.
A top-tang safety, adjustable rear buckhorn style sight and a gold bead Marble Arms® front sight complete the graceful profile of this historic model. Like the other historical rifle models, production is limited.
- WALNUT STOCK GRADE I, SATIN FINISH for deep grain beauty, STRAIGHT GRIP for genuine good looks and fast handling
- STEEL CRESCENT BUTTPLATE adds traditional look while protecting the buttstock
- FULL-LENGTH MAGAZINE provides balance, classic lines and higher capacity
- TOP-TANG SAFETY is easy to see and operate
- REBOUNDING HAMMER provides added margin of safety
- MARBLE ARMS® FRONT SIGHT with brass bead for easier sighting
- ADJUSTABLE REAR SIGHT gets you on target with any ammo
- STEEL LOADING GATE for smoother loading
- BARREL is button-rifled with recessed crown for ultimate accuracy
- RECEIVER is drilled and tapped for traditional side mounted receiver sight